Monday, March 7, 2011

Le Corbursier

When studing for the midterm, I rediscovered Le Corbusier. Going though the textbook for the first time, I had glossed over him because I was still thinking about Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright is probably my favorite architect, having previously studied his works before and getting to visit the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York this summer. Reading through the textbook this time, I skipped past Wright and landed on Le Corbusier and wow, his simplicity and functionality really caught my eye.

I myself, am a very logical, straightforward person, and his style really appealed to me. He was quoted as saying, "Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep." All of his designs employed these values. While not necessarily pretty to look at, his buildings had a purpose, a function. He made use of every square inch in his design. He was instrumental in the high-rise buildings that create the landscape for every big city. In response to the urban housing crisis, Le Corbusier sought out ways to efficiently house large groups of people at the lowest cost possible. Thus the modern apartment building was created.

 Le Corbusier was not content with housing people, but instead imagined redesigning the large cities themselves. He wanted to created skyscapers that would include everything from housing, to shopping, to businesses, to restaurants. His goal was to improve the quality of life and to make everything more accessible. This idea has definately taken off in a world where everything needed can be gained with the touch of a finger.
 
Villa Savoye
in Poissy, France
 With Villa Savoye, Le Corbusier employed what he called the five points of architecture. First, he lifted the building off of the ground with reinforced concrete pillars, which is commonly used now for houses near oceans. The next things were moving walls and an open floor plan, with which the space could be changed to fit different needs. Windows were also something he stressed in both housing and his skyscrapers. The last was the roof garden that he became known for. Most of these designs are commonly used nowadays, and we have Le Corbusier to thank for that. I am very glad I found him my second time through because in my opinion, Le Corbusier has had a very strong and unique impact on the world of architecture.



1 comment:

  1. When I first saw LeCorbursier's apartment structure, thoughts came to mind. The first being that the architect was able to accomplish his goal of creating a self-sustainable complex (in terms of design). My second thought was about what it did to the individuals who lived in it. By forcing people to live in rented space that a so tightly confined, LeCorbursier's building structure seemed to encourage the devaluation of man as seen it much of his artist contemporary. People were not the focus of the structure, but utility was. While LeCorbursier may have built the first modern apartment, I believe he failed to consider its repercussions on the individuals who use them.

    ReplyDelete